Guest Blogger, Camaro West (Outreach Director, 2012-2013)
It seems like opportunities to travel, volunteer or intern abroad are everywhere. It’s easy to see why when you consider the benefits of international travel experiences are more than vacation; the opportunity to leave your home and see another part of the world can offer so much to young people and for many, it is a life changer.
The appeal of travel often lies in learning about a new place, experiencing the culture, the food or just the idea of getting away. There is no doubt that the personal benefits of travel are plenty, but there is also a world of good that travel can do for your career that is often ignored.
It’s easy to think that the professional benefits of travel experience are limited to certain degrees or career paths. And while international travel experience might be necessary for some careers, it is beneficial to all.
Having international experience on your resume puts you ahead of the competition and here’s why:
- Skills. You can write them on your resume or you can show them. Travel abroad shows that you take initiative, are adaptable and aren’t afraid to leave your comfort zone.
- Discover new areas of study or work. I went to Guatemala to learn Spanish; I came back with a curiosity about Voluntourism, which I then wrote my MA thesis on, and now work for an organization that sends volunteers to developing countries. You could go abroad with SOS and come back with an entirely new career interest.
- Broaden your perspective. Great ideas and the ability to think critically come from life experiences like travel.
- Opportunity for personal growth, self-discovery, and independence – all of which make you a better asset to an organization and helps you to determine what you really want to do with your life.
- Ability to communicate across cultures is huge in such a globalized world. Even if language isn’t a barrier, customs are different everywhere and if you can show that you know how to navigate differences successfully, this is exactly what organizations are looking for in their recent grads.
- Language acquisition. While we’re on the topic of language, why not break down that barrier by learning a new one? No better way to learn than by immersing yourself it in.
- Gives you unique examples to pull from during job interviews. Countless people can talk about the challenges they face on the job in Canada, but being able to discuss the unique challenges you faced during your trip and how you overcame them will set you apart for the rest.
- Knowing how your area of interest works in another part of the world. Whether you’re interested in being a doctor or a teacher, if you have the opportunity to see how it’s done somewhere else, take it and learn from it.
- Networking. When you travel, whether on a short trip like SOS Outreach trips or a longer internship, you build relationships with like-minded driven people. Having a solid network of peers is invaluable when seeking out career opportunities in the future.
- Travel makes you more interesting! It gives you more to talk about and different ways of seeing things – who doesn’t want to hire interesting people!
If you haven’t considered volunteering internationally, I urge you to. It is an experience that, as outlined above, can be invaluable towards your career pursuits, but most importantly, they push you on a personal level to grow. At SOS, we take pride in offering students the opportunity to be a part of the support network we offer to our community partners in Latin America. We also take pride in providing experiences that will encourage personal growth among participants, and we support the process with opportunities for learning and reflection before, during and after their trips.
Whether this post just sparked your interest or you have been thinking about volunteering abroad for a while, we have trips this August that may fit in your budget and life schedule!
If you would like more information about international travel, volunteering or other opportunities, feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
16 thoughts on “Ten Ways International Travel Can Benefit Your Career”
It’s very straightforward to learn any topic on net as compared
to books, while i found this bit of writing at this
I just like the helpful information you supply for your personal articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and check yet again here regularly.
I’m rather sure I will learn many new stuff right below!
Have a great time for another!
Hi there, I love reading through your article. I like to publish
a bit comment to aid you.
Can you mind generally if i quote a few of the articles as long as
I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My blog is within the exact same niche as yours and my users would really take advantage of the
vast majority of information you present here. Please let me know if it ok together with
Hi! I really could have sworn I’ve visited this website before but after taking a look at a number of the articles
I realized it’s a novice to me. Anyways, I’m definitely pleased I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back regularly!
We stumbled over here provided by a different page
and thought I might check things out. I like
things i see so now i’m following you. Look forward to going over your online page repeatedly.
It is appropriate time for you to make a few plans for the future and it
is time and energy to be at liberty. I have learn this publish of course, if
I might just I prefer to recommend you some
attention-grabbing issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write
subsequent articles making reference to this short article.
I want to learn more things approximately it!
Hi there to all, the contents existing at this site are actually amazing for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.
Thank you for finally writing about >sosvolunteertrips.org Ten Ways International Travel Can Benefit Your Career <Liked it!
I such as the helpful information you provide for your articles.
I’ll bookmark your weblog and test yet again here frequently.
I’m quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff right right here!
Better of luck for these!
Hi, I actually do think this is a great site.
I stumbledupon it 😉 I am going to come back once again since i have
have book marked it. Money and freedom is the ideal method to change, may you be rich and continue
to guide others.
Pretty nice post. I simply discovered your
weblog and wished to mention that I actually have really enjoyed browsing your site posts.
Whatever the case I will be subscribing to your feed and that i i do hope you write again very soon!
This paragraph is actually a good one it assists new net people, who definitely are
wishing for blogging.
I am in reality happy to glance at this blog posts which
carries lots of helpful facts, thanks for providing these statistics.
We have read countless posts on the topic of the blogger lovers however this
paragraph is actually a pleasant paragraph, ensure that is stays up.
My sister and I are thinking of traveling abroad this summer and I am so glad that I found this article because I did not realize there are so many benefits. The fact that it can provide an opportunity to learn a new language is huge because my sister and I love learning. Also, knowing another language will definitely help with job opportunities in the future because it is a great skill! Plus, I will make sure to learn to communicate across cultures and navigate differences which is a very important skill.